Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Apartment Dwellers No More

We have a garage! We can saw and hammer and paint and lug around gigantic sheets of MDF (a new vocab word: medium density fiberboard).

As we have only a mere one extra room to dedicate to books, however, we still have a storage problem. Scott just built us a lovely orange extension to our original book case. It's almost like having those custom built shelves we're going to have to get some day. You can't tell, but in most places the books are three deep. Another shelf is in the works for the other wall. I love the shelf, though the books are a bit much. Some of you know how I feel about libraries. I seem to be doomed to live in one. There's a Borges story in which a library holds every book ever written plus every book that ever could be written, and in one of them is the secret of life. People lose themselves in the stacks, whole wings go forgotten for decades, people die there. The enormity. The horror.

Good thing we just pared down our collection!

P.S. Thanks to Mom and Dad for the Christmas Saw!

3 comments:

  1. So glad you have the saw. The book shelves look great. I'm so glad you have them. You poor child. You are doomed to live life like you parents, smothered by piles of books. I don't know anyone else who has book slides. In fact I don't even know anyone for whom the word exists, never mind the action! However, reading is one of my life's great joys, I know I'll never be bored or lonely, because I have books! Hurray for books! I love the Borges story--sounds like my life--wandering amid stacks of books. But I am glad you are using some restraint and paring down your collection, because we're coming to visit soon and bringing--ta da!--some new gift books! Have to feed the addiction. Keeping on reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are thrilled to see the end-result of your shelves and duly impressed at your handyperson skills! Will you be taking custom orders for more shelves? we, too, have a book-sliding situation going on. And strangely, many of the books are from your collection. :) e+j.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh yes, it is in your genes [Jeans] ha ha...and I of all people know about book slides.
    Jean and John have been trying to get me "hooked" for years and the sad thing is....they did it !Or perhaps I should say the glad things is....however they need a bigger house desperatly ! ha ha !..or better yet, can you and Scott make them several wall bookcases , I thought about ones going up the stairs ?

    ReplyDelete