Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Dear Friends and Family,


For a long time I've had an imaginary craft blog. I've composed posts, imagined photographs, but felt a little too sheepish to carry it out. Something about blogging makes me very uncomfortable. I can't really pretend it's modesty; I did write a memoir when I was twenty-three. But... let's call it a problem of audience. Who am I writing too? Well, you, you wonderful people who I don't write enough letters to, real people, and also the imaginary ones. The thing is that I'm not a good enough crafter to warrant the kind of blog I imagine, and you real people, while you always have plenty of love for me and my projects, can't really be all that interested in my adventures in mitring.

And yet, in spite of this great big objection of mine, my imaginary blog won't go away, so I decided it was time to give it life. So humor me a little. I'm sure to talk a lot about books, and My So Called Life, which I just discovered holds up remarkably well, and the feral lettuce growing in the sidewalk cracks down the street, so if buttonholes get you down, just skip that part. My mother once gave me official permission to only read the peace parts in War and Peace and to skip the whaling bits of Moby Dick. So, you know... she's a wise lady.

Oh. Some of you know (and heart) Walter Ong. For those of you who managed to escape studying Comp Rhet, he wrote an essay that most first-year writing teachers read called "The Writer's Audience is Always a Fiction." How I came to have a scrap of fabric with "I Heart Walter Ong" printed on it is another story.

Alternative Post Title: You Are Not A Fiction.

7 comments:

  1. You have a humble soul. I like that!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am terribly excited about this blog and feel it will enrich my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Finally, dummy. Is there a way to set up a feed or something, I wonder? Because I will forget to check but will always want to know. We should ask Mary or somebody who knows about feeds. I am not logged in, but this is Imaginary Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi friends (and stranger)! Yay! Thanks for turning up. If you're using Firefox, Lees, just go to Bookmarks, and then to "Subscribe to This Page" and it'll give you the option of subscribing via your igoogle page or some other ways. Oh and my terraria... they're struggling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hooray! you are an inspiration to those of us who keep putting their own blogs on the back burner. see you tomorrow! --em

    ReplyDelete