Sunday, May 17, 2009

Poet Mouse

This is my Olive. I am blessed to be her Noona! She is featured here wearing her birthday crown and birthday tutu that I made for her. Making tutus is my favorite new trick. The crowns, I think, will become a tradition for me with the little ones in my life. A new one each year, to supplement the dress-up box...

And this is Frederick. The book of the same name by Leo Lionni is one of my favorite children's books. When the other field mice are busy storing up grain and so forth, Frederick tends to sit in the sun and daydream. The others consider him rather shiftless, but in the dark of winter, when they've grown bored and cold, he shares his own bounty: he tells them the colors, the sounds, the images, the stories, that sustain them. He is, in short, a poet, and the book is one of very few with the moral that we should respect daydreaming.

Olive just turned one. I was thinking of bequeathment, as one does as a godparent, and I thought of Frederick, and that I would like to help Olive understand the value in experiencing the world quietly, seeing, dreaming, and storing up stories for cold days. For her first birthday I made her this quilt:
So happy first year, walking, talking girl.
And here is a lovely color to store up for the colder months.

4 comments:

  1. Olive's mama wept as she read this. She feels so fortunate to have been able to give her daughter the gift of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at our astonishing girl! See our Noona's wonderful gifts! We are so lucky, so lucky (the other fairy godmother chimes in, no blog of her own).

    Can one make her bequeathments in comments? It seems appropriate for me: I almost always bequeath via commentary, after all. I bequeath courage, if I can. And knowing better every day what we have; and seeing clearly; and saying what we see.

    I love this family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh happy, happy post. so many little points of wonder and delight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just what the world needs, couragous poetic souls, tempered with good humor and a strong sense of ethics which will certainly be among the gifts Olive comes by naturally from her parents.

    ReplyDelete