Thursday, June 4, 2009

A Letter To My BFF

Dear Mary (FMC),

I already have.

But.

Once you told me that your extraordinary mother said that when she looked at you and your siblings she saw you simultaneously at all the ages you had been. When she spoke to you at thirty, she spoke also to a twelve year old you, and that seventeen year old and three year old, and perhaps a projected future you that she saw glimmerings of as well.

And so it is when I think of your hair. I see with equal clarity the surprising purity of your blond when we met fifteen years ago, blond all the way down your back to the abrupt edge that the man at the UFO museum said identified you as an East Coaster, blond, though you said the Portland water made it green, for years until after a ballgown-wearing party you cut it off and wore it like straw for awhile, and then intermediate years when the hemline of your hair dipped and withdrew gently, a quiet breathing, until you put on a red wig and met your future husband; then your hair turned red all of a sudden and stayed for years, and twisty hot curlers appeared in our lives for the first time; at your wedding the slant across your forehead; and then the lightening again, the paling of red toward blond; and I left you there, a little bit of bang cut when I saw you last I know, but the color, the length, a little indistinct.

So my dear friend, it happens that I'm not positive about the look of your hair. But let's say it is due to such sweet familiarity. And I'll bet you're not sure about mine either. How good it is to love.

Here you are, and Josh:
And here you are, pictured with a gigantic allergen:

And here, my artistic interpretation of you being bowled over by kitty allergies:
Love to you.

3 comments:

  1. darling - that was just what I needed this evening. i love you endlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those really look like Mary and Josh. Especially the Mary. Somehow it really looks like Mary.

    Mary: that's what you look like. Also, your mother does sound extraordinary. I'm sorry I never knew her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely piece and L's right - it really does look like Mary.

    I was wondering when you'll be feeling well enough to write another posting.

    ReplyDelete