Saturday, April 4, 2009

Anxiety of Influence: A Theory of Faux Bois

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing Easter really has going for it is the accessories. As a child, I received a new dress, bonnet, and gloves every year in addition to the all important Easter basket. When I have a daughter of my own she will no doubt refuse to wear anything that doesn't have Hannah Montana or the Nike logo on it, so in the meantime I'm plaguing other people's children. These Easter baskets are for my niece and nephew who we are visiting in Spokane this weekend. They are really big, but then it turned out we had a lot of things to give them, including an Easter tambourine and an Easter bug catching kit. I am obsessed with ticking right now. That's the stripy stuff, used for mattresses in days of old. I just can't get enough of it. It feels especially right for children, a little old fashioned, a little sweetie, but very plain and hardy also.
And then there's this--faux bois. What is it about faux bois? I love it. But damn it, Portland, so do the rest of you. I always feel bitter when my enthusiasms coincide with other people's. I mean, I saw this coming, what with the Doug Fir and all. Scott and I were several years ago contemplating my oh so trendy swallow tattoo and wondering what little animal would be the next trend, and realized it was bound to be the deer. Indeed. And it's brought with it faux bois. Thank you, deer. But I can barely stand not to buy this fabric and then feel so trendy when I do. So I only use it for children.

PS Aren't eggs gorgeous? Since the little bird phase has passed, I no longer feel angst about celebrating eggs. I only wish I had some of Emily's to model my baskets for me.

PPS Ah, what the hell...

6 comments:

  1. Reclaiming birds through poetry -- which the masses at Doug Fir will never embrace, even if it IS Emily Dickinson. Here's my poem of the day.

    A Route of Evanescence
    With a revolving Wheel--
    A Resonance of Emerald--
    A Rush of Cochineal--
    And every Blossom on the Bush
    Adjusts its tumbled Head--
    The mail from Tunis, probably,
    An easy Morning's Ride--

    Taya, have you filled the Easter baskets with torn book pages? How lovely! How daring! I could never.... But on the other hand there are always plenty of unloved books to be bought and made newly loveable by ripping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I use pages for projects it is only from books I have dropped in the bath enough times to have loosened the glue so that they no longer hold together. I have quite a collection of unbound Austen and Dickens due to this particular process. This, however, is a shredded pattern. I believe this particular pattern actually came my way via Emily who used it for wrapping paper. Not Dickinson, but rather my dear friend whose blog reflects her beautiful eye: gleancreativereuse.blogspot.com.

    Thank you for the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that ticking was used for Mountain men's shirts and also, at times, for their tent material.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh you dear, thank you for the lovely nod in my direction! i thought i recognized that material and am tickled to see it enjoying a third creative stage of life.
    i actually am using the patterns to wrap things from my etsy shop when they go out into the world. i got the idea from our little local thrift store. its a great way to make use of the piles of once-attractive 80s fashion patterns!

    Taya does make lovely little hand-scissored gift tags from old book pages. I have a deer-shaped one hanging from my computer screen right now.

    (eggs are forthcoming...next visit)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are highly talented and creative.
    Keep up the great work and words and help us to remember a time of eloquence and etiquette.
    I belive strongly that some of us were born in the wrong era ~ much love from the forest ~

    ReplyDelete