Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Oops... More Deer and Eggs

Nothing says crafty godparent like softscupture. At least that was the case in my childhood and I've taken up the cause with these eggs for my Olive. They aren't quite as, well, egg-like as I intended, a little flat-bottomed, in fact. I don't know why. I'll have to work on it. How cute is that fabric?
The background betrays yet more deer in my decor. I feel a little sheepish. But it also shows another terrarium, one that has flourished after all. It's the only fully closed one I have. I wonder if there are different rules for those that aren't a closed eco-system. Probably. Anybody know them?
My issue with fully closed terraria, besides the difficulty of finding bell jars, is that it rains all the time on this poor little deer. And, yeah, it's cool that there's a little water system in there. But poor deer. I'm ready for it to have some sun. And the rest of us.

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh! What's that tall thing growing in there? A volunteer or a recruit? So pretty. The moss in my terraria, on the other hand, seems to have decided it's autumn. The weeds and things are flourishing beautifully -- there can be no such thing as a weed in a terrarium, really -- but the moss looks brown despite the rain. Its seeds didn't drop, and just hang there browning.

    Taya, you are Leo the Late Bloomer. Whereas I am Polly, Past Her Prime.

    On the subject of softsculpture eggs, they work well for the following game, I discovered: take up; gnaw briefly; throw on floor; demand retrieval; repeat. I defy Olive to try it with regular eggs, however.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For whatever it's worth, some Double-crested cormorants lay eggs that aren't exactly flat, but are elliptical so that when they're bumped, they roll in a tight circle and do not fall from the small area that serves as a nest on the side of very steep cliffs. John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do double-crested cormorant eggs have bunny-shapes on them by any chance?

    ReplyDelete