Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A Plea

Potholder set commissioned by my mother for a friend...

And more importantly, a request: One feature of craft blogs (and I would like to work my way into that world--my plan is to become a famous craft blogger and retire) is how-tos, instructables, tutorials, the like. Now, the only people I know read my blog are the people who comment; and most of you don't spend a lot of time sewing. But one or two of you have some crafty inclinations, and maybe some of my other friends are lurking silently... So what I'm wondering if there's anything I know how to do ("know") that you're interested in having me provide directions for? I want to practice. A project here, something else I've made that you've seen in real life, or even something you want to learn how to make that I could perhaps figure out as an assignment? Mom, you want an instructable for cloth grocery bags? Don't limit yourself to sewing. I have broad but shallow knowledge. But if you all want to learn how to make a successful terrarium, Lisa will have to guest blog.

Come on--brainstorm.

7 comments:

  1. Can you make a tutorial for something cool and beautiful that doesn't involve many tools? I grow exhausted at the very thought of drilling or sewing. I am willing to use scissors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, now that I said that thing about not using tools, I do want to know how to reupholster chairs like you did with the red/blues. I might not actually do it, but I want to know how you did. And then again, maybe I would reupholster a chair....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to know how to make a sturdy cloth or fabric dog toy...it has to be something that the dog thinks he is shredding, but really he's just pulling it apart and I can put it back together the next time he wants to disembowel something. Know what I mean? I was thinking about it all summer, as I spent an absurd amount of money on dog toys, but never got all the right pieces together in my head to attempt it. Something like leather strips that a dog can pull, tug, and feel like he's shredding, but via the magic of velcro or something I can then reassemble the toy. Right now, Olly can completely shred a stuffed dog toy in a day. And I'm wasting tons of money on the whole situation, and he's eating stuffed animal stuffing, and none of it is good. Save us with a craft instructable, Taya!
    Jen Hirt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Jen! That's a serious challenge. I'll apply myself, but it may take awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe upholstery fabric would make a good dog toy. might be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I personally would like to know how you went from an empty new house one day to a fully decorated home, looking as if you'd been there for years, just a few days later!
    or you could do a bit on artwork for cat bowl areas.
    or felted cat toys.
    gift tags cut out from old book pages...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just want to say that my cats absolutely love the catnip heart you made them for x-mas. It is far superior to store bought catnip mice. They have requested more. :)

    ReplyDelete