Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Very Easy Life of Jane's Thimble

(Elizabeth took up some needlework and was sufficiently amused Part 2--See Part 3 here.)

Penelope Bryde's "pamphlet" was brought out in a new edition in 2008 amid Jane-inspired madness--under a new title that ignores the needlework section entirely. And, indeed, that section is a mere 15 small pages. I learned that ladies of the era were no longer making lace, as it had just begun to be mass-produced by machine. They were likely, however, to have worked white embroidery on their own white muslin dresses, which is why they would hide their work in their baskets when gentlemen approached. I did not figure out what tambour is though I read a page-long description. I learned that knitting was only for the old or the desperate (Mrs. Smith in Persuasion who makes money by her needlework). And I learned that Bryde considers Austen to have been herself a truly accomplished domestic artist--even by Caroline Bingley's strict definition of the term. The hottest trend was apparently satin-stitch embroidery of which she created some of the finest surviving examples from the era. And how she found the time for it all? I suppose all those hours in the parlour when she couldn't be writing could be filled with listening as long as her hands were busy. But honestly, she sure got a lot done. "I wish I could help you in your Needlework," she wrote to Cassandra. "I have two hands & a new Thimble that lead a very easy life."

But I am mid-way through Sense and Sensibility and I am befuddled by a filigree basket that Elinor helps Lucy Steele to work by rolling paper for her. What could this be?

6 comments:

  1. While in Palm Springs I read only the parts of Pride and Prejudice with Mr. Darcy. I found I enjoyed the book just as much.

    I have also come to the realization that my literary (if I use the term loosely) love affairs are with dark, brooding men like Mr. Darcy, Angel, and (the shame of it) Edward Cullen. The reality of the situation is that if I were in a relationship with any of these men I would probably do something very drastic because I need someone who expresses emotions and is fun, rather than dark.

    There are two things I want to say about my above list. The first is that I really think you should give Buffy another try. Lisa is totally into it now and says she was uninterested by season 1, but was hooked in season 2. Please try again. Otherwise, you will be lost in our obsessive conversations about it, which we have already started over email.
    Secondly, I am so embarrassed to have included a Twilight character on the list for a lot of reasons. Will you read the damn book already? One of my students bought me the dvd at the end of last quarter and I want you to come over after OJ goes to bed so we can watch it. In fact, I just texted you to walk over here right now. I need to know what you think. Now I called you. You're coming. I'm excited.

    It occurs to me that this an entirely inappropriate comment because it is the size of a blog posting itself and really took on a life of its own. Forgive me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love long comments. They take some of the one-sided strangeness away. I will indeed try Buffy again and I fully intend to read Twilight. Perhaps we should start a discussion group...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am all for a discussion group. I'll read it again, because it's super easy. Lisa, are you listening? Read it, too. Let me know when you start.

    Just so the blog world doesn't get the wrong impression, T & S did come over for cake, but not Twilight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This isn't related to Jane Austen nor Twilight, but I just wanted to remark on the pattern I see here of that sort of Scandinavian (forgive me for generalizing) blue and bright red in your home... I like it very much. Also, muchly, the pepper or salt shaker which has been left askew :)

    Now that you are joining this mysterious Twilight cult, I'm afraid I will be the only person left in the world who has not watched or read anything related to it. You will have to give me your opinion sometime...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just don't want to buy the books or wait for them at the library. Mary, you have to lend them, please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Speaking of reading, have you read "Olive Kitteridge?" It is fine fiction.
    Gary

    ReplyDelete